About the Talk
August 27, 2009 5:00 AM
Austin, TXAustin, TX
So, you’ve been using git in your projects. It’s crazy fast, you’re able to create and switch branches in the blink of an eye, and already you’re liking it better than any other VCS (version control system) you’ve ever used. But… if that’s all you do with git, did you know that you’ve just scratched the surface?
Join us for an epic journey of 3 hours to tour some of the amazing, powerful features that make git the most enjoyable and useful VCS ever created. Equipped with this knowledge, you’ll enjoy a level of freedom and power that will make versioning an afterthought, helping you to be more effective at what you love: developing software.
Features we’ll explore together include:
- Rebasing (when to use it, what is it, and why)
- Cherry-picking, undoing commits or merges
- Resurrecting lost stashes, deleted branches / commits, and even staged changes.
- Committing portions of files to help you achieve one-change-per-commit.
- Working with stashes
- Working with submodules
- Finding who is responsible for a commit, explore what the code looked like before that users change, etc.
- Using gitk
- Debugging with git bisect
- Customizing and automating your work flow with git hooks.
- And much more!
Expect to have most of your time in class hands on, working through problems on your own with me as your guide. Journeymen should have a handle on the basics of git (committing, pushing, pulling, branching, merging), and a have a desire to learn some things that will revolutionize their work flow.