About the Talk
May 7, 2010 10:00 AM
Sydney, AustraliaSydney, Australia
While "mashups" are becoming passé it has been because they have mostly focused on combining data for the sake of it. Social APIs aren't about data they are about interaction. With these new Web APIs becoming available we can explore new ways that data and people interact.
Web APIs are the building blocks of powerful social applications. How do the advanced features of APIs such as Google maps help us display the information more meaningfully? Layers, for example, can overlay congressional districts to help users find the information relevant to them. By making the information personal and relevant to the user we draw them in and give them incentives to contribute and share the application with their network. This both improves the application for everyone as well as spreading knowledge of it.
Attendees will learn how to:
- Access various web APIs using YQL
- Easily make complex queries to multiple applications
- Display information on Google maps
- Share information back to social networks to encourage participation
- Why social is important in web applications