About the Talk
January 18, 2011 2:00 PM
B'More on RailsB'More on Rails
You know how to raise and rescue exceptions. But do you know how they work, and how to structure a robust error handling strategy for your app or library? Starting with an in-depth look at Ruby's failure handling mechanisms, we'll move on to talk about proven strategies for raising, handling, recording, and mitigating failures in Ruby.
Topics covered will include:
- Different methods of indicating failure
- Overriding Kernel#raise for fun and profit
- The exception lifecycle in detail
- Crash logging
- The three exception safety guarantees
- Exception safety testing
- Avoiding error cascades
- Structuring your exception classes
- ...and much more!